In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, how can we get better at leading with love in the workplace?
At its best, leading with love begins with a choice to be involved in work that is aligned with what is important and to connect what we do every day to the values that we hold most dear. It’s easy to lead with love when an environment taps into your gifts and connects with your passions.
Show up as your best self and inspire others to be their best, as well. We are a combination of our experiences, our values, and our interactions. To authentically lead with love, we must bring all of who we are to every situation.
In my experience, those who lead with love get to know the people with whom they work, and they take time to listen. They honor the person, not just how they perform their duties; they care as much about their people as they do about the work that gets done. They always support and encourage their team member’s aspirations and provide a clear path for their growth and development.
Lastly, be intentional about thinking of others. Diagnose and adapt to others’ style and values; speak in words that honor their perspectives, goals and objectives.
Leading with love at work is multi-faceted; it shows up in practical ways when we demonstrate the following:
• Showing respect, courtesy and kindness to all those with whom we come in contact
• Seeking to understand someone else’s point of view or perspective
• Acknowledging and affirming others’ contributions
• Being open to new and different ideas
• Assuming others have a positive intent behind their actions
• Offering forgiveness when needed and moving forward without grudges
When we lead with love, we are investing in our teams at a deeper level to accomplish new goals and reach new heights together. So, how do you lead with love?