We have developed frameworks for Values Based Leadership (VBL) at the individual, organizational, and family level. These frameworks serve as the foundation for our programming. Keep reading to learn more about how these frameworks can transform you, your organization, and your family.
Values are the cornerstone of an organization’s culture — they are statements of how we act as we work to achieve the why of our operation. When culture and strategy are aligned, like gears in a well-oiled machine, employees can see the mission and action and understand what they need to do to achieve it.
At InnerWill, we work with senior leaders to unlock the potential of their organizations by aligning their mission, vision and strategy with their organizational values, their leadership philosophy and their internal processes.
Like our individual leadership framework, the Values Based Organizations (VBO) framework describes five interrelated practices that organizations must adopt to sustain a Values Based culture. This framework serves as our guide to assess the organizations we partner with and develop a customized approach to their development as a Values Based Organization.
Where We Start: The starting point in an engagement with InnerWill is determined based on discovery and a needs assessment.
- Take Stock is often the starting point for organizations with an effective senior team in place. Using a survey, focus groups, or other data gathering, we can help the team to see the organization clearly rather than working from perception. It can also help a senior team see how the values of the organization are currently viewed, and to help them develop their values using language that is already meaningful in the organization.
- Clarify Culture may be a starting point for an organization that has done some recent surveying and is ready to define or refine its Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Choose to Lead may be the starting point for an organization with a new or dysfunctional senior team. To effectively engage in the Take Stock or Clarify Culture work, we may recommend workshops and facilitated sessions to build leadership capacity and strengthen relationships within the team.
Our Approach: We typically propose working in phases, describing the initial phase in detail based on our discovery assessment with the following phases only roughly sketched out. Many organizations like to see the “whole picture,” and it’s also important to be able to adapt the plan based on the learning that will take place in phase one.
The Five Practices of Values Based Organizations
are the cornerstone of attracting, developing,
and retaining the best
Commit To Why
Seeing the organization clearly
- Assess what’s working and what’s not
- Seek feedback
- Measure progress
Commit To Why And How
Establishing the culture
- Refine the mission
- Operationalize the values
- Clarify expectations
Influencing the Organization
- Evolve a vision and strategy
- Strengthen relationships
- Improve core processes
Champion Values Based Leadership
Inspiring organizational commitment
- Develop leadership strength
- Influence key people
- Hold self and others accountable
Inspiring employee commitment
- Encourage leadership at all levels
- Energize employees with direction & support
- Empower employees to make a difference